Friday, May 28, 2010

Bella's Birthday Treats

I brought in treats to celebrate Bella's birthday at school although it is 3 weeks away. Making these have been a comedy of errors. I thought I had everything: 2 cake mixes one chocolate, one yellow (Bob and Larry were completely from scratch), and strawberry and chocolate chocolate frosting. Yesterday when I when to make the first batch (yellow cupcakes) I looked and realized that I didn't have any liners. No problem. I can use non-stick spray. I am almost out of that too. I eeked out enough to make what I needed for the yellow ones but not enough for the chocolate batch. I thought that I had everything, but when I went to assemble them I realized that I hadn't bought the ice cream cones. Why do you need ice cream cones when you have cupcakes? I am putting the cupcakes in the cones and frosting them to look like soft serve ice cream cones. Don't give me too much credit, I found it in cookbook devoted to cupcakes. So today I make a run to the store to pick up the non-stick spray, the liners, and the cones. When I got home and opened the box of cones, they were the mini ones. Didn't know they made those. Any way, so it was a good thing that the original recipe needed a regular cupcake and a mini one. So I put the mini yellow cupcakes in the mini cones and frosted them with the strawberry icing. Once a few of them were done then I had the problem of how to keep them upright. I scoured the house trying different ideas. Then my epiphany. I could use the top of a box and cut holes in it that fit the cones. My first attempt. Not so pretty. Then my second epiphany. I could use one of my scrapbooking tools to cut the perfect size holes. Why didn't I think of that in the first place? Maybe because I haven't scrapbooked since I can't even tell you when. Sure enough it worked.

The saga continued. I reached Bella's school during the appropiate time 2:15pm (between 2-3pm they do any birthday celebrations). As I am pulling up to the school I see kids outside in groups sitting in the grass, mulitple fire trucks, and amblulances. That is definately not something that you want to see at your child's school. I pulled into the parking lot and I asked someone else what happened. She said that the fire alarm went off. When I arrived the fire marshall had just started letting parents/volunteers back in the building. The kids had been in the gym for a few minutes while the fire fighters told the kids what a great job they did at leaving the building in an orderly fashion. There was no fire. Some steam from an air conditioner some how set it off. As I waited in the parking lot all I could think about is how devestated Bella would be if she didn't get her birthday treats. On Tuesday this week was field day and I had signed up to help. However I had to cancel because my babysitter was sick and so were Charlotte and Xander. I finally got to Bella's classroom around 2:30pm and all the kid's eyes lit up when I walked in with treats. The kids loved the treats and so did Bella.

No comments: