Thursday, March 4, 2010

Baking Day

So Thursday's are my baking day. Today I made wheat rolls and maple-oat scones. Both of which were yummy and turned out great. Last Thursday I made the same scones for my Tuesday ladies group and they all loved them. I also made cinnamon rolls. Let me preface this with saying that I am a pretty good baker, and this was not my first time making them nor was it a new recipe. Something went seriously wrong with the dough this time. What? I really can't say. The yeast was new, the flour was new; however, maybe the dough rose to long. Whatever the case, the end product was YUCKY! I have had the occasional ugly looking batch of cinnamon rolls that tasted fine, but these were ugly and yucky. If I posted a pictures of them you would be truly frightened, so I will spare you from having nightmares.

In case your are interested in making these scones, go to the Food Network website and look under scones. The recipe is from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). The title is Maple-Oat scones. Please read the reviews to get ideas to enhance them. I didn't make any changes to the recipe, but I do intend to get some cooking grade syrup for a more intense flavor, and to use maple flavoring. Even though the flavor is not very intense without these elements, the texture is perfect.

No comments: