Sunday, January 17, 2010

Trying a New Recipe

My honey's birthday was yesterday. He is not into much fanfare when it comes to his birthday; however, I did want to do something special. A nice adult dinner. I thought, "Crabcakes would be nice with with what....?" I wanted to try something new, since it was an adult meal. Ok, so how many of you ladies out there cook or bake something new when you are going to an event or having someone over for dinner? I know that it is not always the best idea, because what if something goes horribly wrong; however, I do it quite often. I got to use my new laptop to look for a recipe. One of the reasons I wanted a laptop, to look for a recipes, make a dish, and only have to print the recipe if I think I will make that dish again. Friday, I looked on Food Network website for a risotto recipe. In Chicago Dan and I have a favorite Surf and Turf resturant, Braxton. They have the best crabcakes I have ever tasted. I don't know what what the chef does to them but they are fresh and need no sauce. Why this story, because the last time we ate there at Christmas, a butternut squash risotto accommpanied my crabcakes. The risotto was fantastic. So the point of all this, I decided to look for a butternut squash risotto. I have never made risotto before, but I thought I will give it a try even though I can't make rice to save my life. I knew going into making the risotto that it would take a long time and lots of liquid. I found a Rachel Ray reciepe that was easy. I consider myself a good cook and with good reviews and an easy rating I tried it.

The end result: It took more liquid than the recipe called for, but I think I had the heat too high even though I had it as the directions called for. If I do make it again I won't add the nutgmeg, not because I don't like it, but rather I didn't like it with the combination of the other flavors. My first instinct was to leave it out, but I like to make a recipe as it is the first time, then adjust it the next time I make it. Over all I liked it, Dan liked it with the crabcake, but not as much just tasting it from the pot, and Bella who will at least try 1 bite of anything these days, didn't like it. I had high hopes for Bella liking it, since she likes rice: spanish stlyle, fried rice, and plain rice. Charlotte doesn't like rice, so I knew that first she wouldn't try it and second, due to the rice like texture, she wouldn't like it. And Little Man, who knows what he eats. Foods he used to eat, now he won't touch, something he eats today, he refuses to eat the next day.

Well, it had been a long time since I have tried a new recipe, not because of time, but due to the likes/dislikes of our family. I'm glad that I tried it but, I think it will be awhile before I do it again. When a new dish doesn't go over, I feel it's a waste of my time, energy, and money. Maybe that will change as the kids get older.

No comments: