Is it Murphy's Law that says anything that can go wrong will?
It all started with our van. It's now 5 years old and the air conditioning went out sometime in early April, I guess. I don't know for sure because there wasn't a dramatic event. I turned it on one warm day in early April and it never put out cool air. Fortuntely the spring this year has been cool and rainy so I haven't needed the air conditioner; however, starting this last weekend it has been hot. Like 90 degrees hot at 10am. I am constantly having a bad hair day because the windows are down all the time. The problem is, when do I have the time to give up my van and get it fixed? The hotter it stays the more my motivation is kicking in. Next week starting Tuesday Bella is off of school and I suppose I can be home bound while the van is in the shop.
Then last Wednesday, we had bad storms and tornado warnings where we stayed in the basement for about 30 minutes. During this, we got golf ball and larger sized hail. It looked like it had snowed. The electricty went out for 2 hours which made me sick because I had just gone to the grocery store that day so my freezer was stocked. Our cars were in the garage so they were not damaged, but our 3 year old roof could have damage. Many of our screens will need to be replaced, and the outdoor light fixtures but none of our windows were damaged. Our house was spared when compared to many other houses in our neighborhood.
Last Thursday, our dishwasher decided not to work any more. Dan even took it apart to see if the suggestions in the manual and online would work. Nope. Doing dishes by hand is not something I enjoy doing nor care to do it for almost a week. I know I am a spoiled American suburban housewife but I have acess to modern conviences and I take full advantage of them.
Today the roof is getting inspected and the diswasher repairman will be here to give us the good, bad and ulgy news. I have a feeling that the roof will need to be replaced and the dishwasher guy will say, "I have to order that part from Japan. Given the recent earthqukes there it's on backorder indefinately. You can wait or you can buy a new dishwasher."
This is an open call to all my appliances both big and small: Now is the time to catch on fire, to short out or just decide not to work. That way I can get that all out of the way at one time.
2 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment